Monday, September 17, 2012

Copycat Alice Springs Chicken

The last time my hubby and I went to the Outback, he decided to try the Alice Springs chicken. He loves honey mustard, cheese, and bacon. This was the perfect meal!

This was the same night we got a sitter for Aubrey so we could have a couple drinks. We decided to share a pitcher of Sangria. Well.. make that 2. Not because we ordered a second one.. but because the bartender prepared a second one accidentally and gave it to us for free. After my husband declared that he wasn't going to drink anymore after the first pitcher because he had to drive. If you know me, you know that one thing I do NOT let go to waste is alcohol. My best friend jokes that the only time I ever finish a drink when we go out to eat is when there is alcohol in it. Coke and Sprite are lucky if I finish half the glass. So anyway, he decided to "help me out" and have ONE last glass. So I was left to drink the other 3-4 glasses by myself. After I already had 2 from the first pitcher. Yeah. The night didn't end well. 


When I saw the recipe for Alice Springs chicken floating around Pinterest, I knew I had to make it. Up until this pregnancy, I wanted no part of anything honey mustard. Now? I can't get enough of it. I ate so many french fries dipped in honey mustard during my first trimester that I am half convinced this little lady is going to come out looking like a fry.

But anyway, it was so amazing that I had to share the recipe. I tweaked it a little bit with the sauce because I didn't feel like buying honey AND yellow mustard because I would get so much more use out of just a bottle of honey mustard. It came out amazing nonetheless. 

You will need..

  • 1-2 pounds of boneless, skinless chicken breast, pounded to about 1/2" thick
  • Bacon! How much you need depends on how much chicken you are making. I only made 3 breasts and I used about 4-5 pieces of bacon (and of course, I used the infamous Apple Cider bacon in my First Trimester Favorites post)
  • 1 cup of honey mustard
  • 2 tablespoons of mayonnaise
  • 2 tsp onion powder
  • Seasoning salt
  • 2 cups of shredded Colby Jack Cheese
  • You can use sliced mushrooms if you'd like. We are part of the he-man mushroom haters club here so we didn't.

Start off by sprinkling your chicken with the seasoning salt. Let it sit in the refrigerator while you prepare your sauce and fry up your bacon (keep the grease in the pan!).

Mix together the honey mustard, mayonnaise, and onion powder in a small bowl (I'm super fancy with my plates and bowls, can't you tell? Wait til you see my dinner plate)

Once the sauce is prepped and the bacon is crispy, cook up the chicken for a few minutes on each side *IN the bacon grease!* plop those bad boys into a casserole dish.


Spread the sauce over the chicken, sprinkle the crumbled bacon on top, and top those suckers with cheese. This is no time to be stingy. Bake at 350 for about half hour until everything looks all gooey and delicious. Don't throw the leftover sauce away! I made that mistake and had to make some extra.


Serve with your favorite sides! I am making this again tonight for my hubby since he is working an extra long day. I am thinking that mashed potatoes and either corn or peas will be on the menu along with it. And yes, as a matter of fact I think I will use my Minnie Mouse plate again.


Now, if someone has a copycat Bloomin' Onion recipe, send that sucker my way.

No comments:

Post a Comment