Sunday, July 20, 2014

Our Trip to York: Day 1

Since I had to work the day after Aubrey's birthday, the "official" kick off to our vacation was on Monday. We rented a room for a night up in York, Maine and had 2 days of fun! To avoid making this post too picture heavy, I split up the days into different posts.

Our day started bright and early Monday morning. After a much needed coffee stop after I only got 4 hours of sleep from working the night before, we were on our way!


We got to York Beach a little after 9:30 and claimed our spot for the day. 


The water was FREEZING. I got as far as right below the knee and I was all set. 


The cold water didn't bother these three:






Keith took Addie into the water for some solo time and Aubrey & I explored the rocks. We found lots of cool stuff, including a snail that she wanted to take home with us. Sorry kid.



Halfway through our day, we decided to grab some lunch. They offered breakfast all day, so Aubrey & I were all over that. Keith got a burger and a root beer float and the girls were all over it (well, Aubrey just wanted ice cream. She refuses to drink soda. Proud mom.)


Addie pretended she didn't like the lemon, but she ate the whole thing.



We went back to the hotel for a bit to wash the sand off and get ready for dinner at my favorite restaurant in Maine: Robert's Maine Grille! I went there last summer with my best friend and the food was phenomenal.



We tried the Sebago Simmer Down Ale, which had notes of tropical fruit and mango, and it was brewed right in Maine. I love trying local brews and this one didn't disappoint. 




Keith & I shared the seafood platter and demolished it. I'm not usually a huge fan of coleslaw, but theirs is amazing!



It's hard to tell from this photo, but there was a thunder and lightening storm while we were eating. It made dinner so much better, just watching the rain over the water and listening to it hit the roof of our covered patio.


I was a little worried because I wanted to go to Nubble Lighthouse, which is the top photographed lighthouse in America, and it didn't look like the rain was letting up. Eventually it did, and we were on our way!




I *almost* didn't even tell Keith about this place because I figured he would find it lame and touristy. But I'm glad I didn't, because not only did he think it was a cool idea... I got these two photos.. which have jumped into the top 10 of my favorite family photos of all time.



We stopped at the gift shop before leaving and I got a bookmark to hang at my desk along with the above pictures, and we also picked up a Christmas ornament of the lighthouse. This started the tradition of getting an ornament whenever we go somewhere new. I think it will be fun to look back each year and remember the family trips we have taken.

We went back to our hotel room and hit the hay pretty early.. we had another early morning coming up!

No comments:

Post a Comment