Saturday, June 8, 2013

Aubrey's Dance Recital

Dear Aubrey,

Tonight was your dance recital. I can't even put into words how proud I am of you. When we took you to dress rehearsal Thursday night, I have to admit I didn't have high expectations of you doing your dancing for the actual recital. You were laying on the floor and dragging yourself around, pulling feathers off of your costume and throwing them at your friends (which got a good laugh from everyone in the audience), and just overall not listening. 



Fast forward to this afternoon. I desperately wanted you to do that dance. Like, really really bad. Ever since I enrolled you in dance school, I envisioned you on stage at your recital doing twirls and pliés in your tutu (apparently, at that time, I forgot I had a 3 year old.) As a result of my desperation, I resorted to good, old fashioned bribery. Your latest obsession is Littlest Pet Shop .. so clearly an offering of Littlest Pet Shop trading cards after your dance was all you needed. You did her dance and you did it well! At one point, you caught a glimpse of a feather floating in the air. It put you in a trance and you started walking towards the edge of the stage and one of the teenage dancers had to run and grab you (again, cue the laughing from everyone. At least you were doing your dance this time, though.. and we still had the awesome kid that made everyone laugh!). 

Photography was not allowed while you were performing, but I absolutely adore these photos of us from backstage!




The recital's theme was Four Seasons, and your class was in the Winter set. The song you performed was "Little Snowflake" and it is the most adorable song ever. I'm sure any time I hear this song, I will think of you in that sweet, little dress with half of it's feathers missing, doing your pliés just like I imagined 9 months ago.




We will definitely be ordering the DVD so we can watch it back with you as the years go on so you can remember it. We weren't sure about sending you back to dance school in the fall, but if you want to, I certainly won't stop you. I know you can do anything you set your mind to, and I can't say enough how proud I am of you today, and every day.

I love you, sweetpea!

Love,
Mama

No comments:

Post a Comment