Sunday, February 24, 2013

Addison's Birth Story

I have been meaning to type this up since we got home on Monday but we have come to realize very quickly that Miss Addie likes to be held. All the time. Even in her sleep. We're working on it.

Addison Grace
February 14th, 2013
10:24 AM
8lb 8oz, 20.5"

My birth experience with Addison was amazing. We woke up bright and early on Thursday morning (Valentine's Day!) and got Aubrey ready to go with her Grammie. They made plans to have breakfast and Aubrey was really excited about having pancakes :) Grammie got to our house around 7am and once they left we grabbed our bags and hit the road!

{Keith says I overpacked. I say bull. :)}

We were told to be at the hospital at 8:00. We got there about 15 minutes early. Naturally when we got there I started panicking and saying I didn't want to do this, and we can come back next week for the original surgery date. Keith did an awesome job keeping me calm, rubbing my back, etc. We had a student nurse named Sarah that was watching the whole procedure being done and she was super nice and chatted with us while we waited for the anesthesiologist  They had to put in an IV and then got Keith all scrubbed up. I may be biased, but I think he could be the next McDreamy if Patrick Dempsey ever left Grey's ;)

Before we knew it, the anesthesiologist was at my bedside explaining the procedure to me. He reminded us of the doctor from Knocked Up so we giggled every time he left the room.


Around 10am, they rolled me back to the OR. Keith had to stay in a waiting room while they gave me the spinal and made the first initial cut, so Sarah held my hands and had me lean into her while they administered the needles. I instantly felt my lower half get really warm and heavy and they laid me back and poked around my belly to make sure I couldn't feel anything and they got to work. I looked up at the operating lights and noticed that the whole outside edge was reflective so I could see everything. I closed my eyes and turned my head to the door and waited for Keith to come in. They finally let him in after what felt like forever (though I'm sure it was only a couple minutes). 

I didn't really feel much the whole procedure, just a few funny sensations. I did my best to not look up at the operating lights, but once my doctor said "you're going to feel a ton of pressure", I knew they were taking her out and I couldn't help but look up and I'm so glad I did. It was the most amazing experience ever. They showed her to us and then rushed her over to the heating table to begin cleaning her up. Keith stayed by my side, but I told him I was fine and to go get pictures. To this day I am still super bummed that we never got any of Aubrey fresh out of the womb so I wanted to make sure we got some of Addison. I'll spare you the super personal pictures of her flashing her va-jay-jay everywhere, but I did want to share one from after they had her cleaned up

After what seemed like a freaking year, they had me stitched up and ready to go back to my room. I was so anxious to finally hold my sweet little girl. They had Keith bring her over to me and it was love at first sight.

They brought me two trays of soup broth and jello which I wanted zero part of. I was way too anxious to eat the night before and I was starving. I just wanted some real food! They wanted to observe me for a few hours to make sure I didn't get sick before they would give me anything, but finally they let me order something more substantial. I don't even remember what my first meal was haha, but I remember devouring it when it came! 

The nurses had started to show some concern over Addie's breathing which freaked me the hell out. Her breaths were rapid and she kept grunting, which were both signs of excess fluid in her lungs that she couldn't get out. They decided it was best for her to go to the NICU for a little while for observation. Naturally this was the end of the world for me and I was SO upset because I had barely spent any time with her and obviously I was nervous about what was going to happen. 

Aubrey came to visit pretty shortly after that and they let us bring her down to the NICU to meet her little sister! It wasn't the experience I had hoped for, but it was still so amazing. She kept asking Keith to pick her up to look at Addison and she got excited every time Addison moved or made a noise. We took her into a private room for some family time and she ended up nursing the whole time. Aubrey started getting antsy so she & Keith went back to the room while I finished nursing Addie and then a nurse brought me back. Not too much longer after that, Addison was allowed to join us again. As soon as they put her in my arms I changed her into the adorable Valentines PJs we bought her :)

The next few days are a blur. I didn't do much of anything except lay in bed holding Addison, nursing her, and enjoying some visitors. On Saturday, a friend came by and did some hospital photos which I absolutely adore.

And lastly, my favorite picture from the shoot..

We were originally supposed to leave on Sunday but I was in a lot of pain so they decided it was best for me to stay one more night, which was okay with me. All of the nurses and doctors at the hospital were amazing, and I don't know what I would have done without the lactation consultants. I definitely made myself a lot more nervous about nursing than I needed to and I really wish I would have done it with Aubrey. It was definitely difficult at first but we have gotten into the groove of things and it is really nice bonding time.

And there you have it. It took me a week, but at least it's out there now :)


  1. Congratulations on your Valentine's Day baby! She is adorable.

  2. Hi I am a new follower! Congrats on your new little girl, she is so precious!